January 22, 2009

Acorns and Flowers

I've started playing around with the buttons and felt. They were cute, but somehow too cartoon-ey. I kept trying to imagine my father with a felt/button boutonniere and I just couldn't see it. I was on the verge of giving up when I came across a fabric sample book of wonderful material. One of the parents at the school where I work is an interior designer and she donated a ton of fabric sample books (the kids love exploring the colors and textures and most of the books have handles so they make great 'purses'). There's not a word of English on the sample books so I don't know exactly what the material is, but it feels like really thin wool felt. The material is in really great fall/winter tones of warm reds all the way to a dark charcoal grey. I started working with it last night and created my first full boutonniere. I like that the material is thinner so a little easier to work with and layer and the colors are so amazing. I'm finally happy with what I'm coming up with. I'm afraid I don't have enough material, or enough colors to make pieces for everyone so I'll need to do a bit of fabric searching, but at least now I feel like I'm on the right track.

No comments: